| !! Warning !!|
This article contains spoilers!
Undertale is an RPG game released in 2015. A PlayStation 4 version of the game was released in 2017.
Undertale includes different routes based on the player's choices. The 3 main routes are Pacifist, Neutral and Genocide. There is also a Hard Mode that can be activated by naming the fallen human Frisk.
The overworld gameplay features the player controlling Frisk in various realms. They can also interact with certain objects.
The battles in this game are turn based. During the player's turn, they get to choose between 4 options: FIGHT, ACT, ITEM and MERCY. During the enemy's turn, the player controls Frisk's SOUL (a heart, typically red), trying to (mostly) avoid attacks. A battle can end in two ways: either the player kills the enemy or spares them.
Most of the time, Frisk's SOUL is red but certain encounters change the color. Here is a list of different SOUL modes.
- Red: Controls normally, meaning that it moves into any direction with the corresponding key. This mode is used in most battles.
- Blue: The SOUL is affected by gravity (usually downwards) and the controls resemble a sidescroller. This mode is used in the battles against Sans and Papyrus.
- Green: The SOUL is unable to move and instead blocks attacks with a shield. The arrow keys control the direction in which the shield is facing. This mode is used in the battle against Undyne.
- Purple: The SOUL is stuck on lines. This mode is used in the battle against Muffet.
- Yellow: The SOUL is flipped upside down and can shoot upwards. This mode is used in the battle against Mettaton.
- Light blue and orange human SOULs exist but they are unused during gameplay.
These are the attacks used by enemies in the game. Most attacks are white. Note that while some enemies use other attack colors, most of them also use white attacks.
- White: Deals damage regardless of whether the SOUL is moving or not.
- Gray: Does nothing. Used for message purposes. Used in the battles against Napstablook and Mettaton.
- Red: Warns of upcoming attacks. The way it appears varies. Used in various battles.
- Green: Heals (except in the battle against Tsunderplane, where it does nothing). Used in the battles against several minor enemies, most notably Vegetoid, as well as the battle against RG01 and RG02.
- Light blue: Only damages if the SOUL is moving. Used in the battles against the Canine Unit members, Sans, Papyrus, Asgore, So Sorry and some minor enemies.
- Orange: Only damages if the SOUL is not moving. Used in the battles against Pyrope, So Sorry and Asgore.
- KARMA: No invincibility frames - instead HP reduces slowly and an additional purple part in the health bar is added. Only used in the battle against Sans.
- Arrows: Used in the green SOUL mode. These attacks are blocked by the shield. Arrows work in a different way depending on their color.
Note: What counts as a boss, mini boss or regular enemy can be depatable at points.
- Annoying Dog (represents creator Toby Fox)
- The 6 humans who fell between Chara and Frisk
- Undyne the Undying (Genocide)
- Mettaton EX (Neutral/Pacifist)
- Mettaton NEO (Genocide)
- Sans (only a boss in the Genocide Route)
- Asgore Dreemurr
- Asriel Dreemurr (only a boss in the Pacifist Route)
- Canine Unit
- Dogamy & Dogaressa
- Lesser Dog
- Greater Dog
- Mad Dummy (Glad Dummy in a Genocide Route)
- RG01 & RG02
- Nice Cap
- Chilldrake (Genocide Route only)
- Final Froggit
- Knight Knight
- Memory Head
- Reaper Bird
- Lemon Bread
- Snowdrake's Mother
Hard Mode exclusive
- So Sorry
- Nice Cream Guy
- Snowdin Shopkeeper
- Tem Shop
- Bratty & Catty
- Monster Kid
- River Person
- Temmie Village characters
FUN value is a value in the game that is randomly generated at the start of each route. The FUN value affects certain things in the game.
- W. D. Gaster
- Goner Kid
- Clam Girl
- Gaster's followers
See gallery here.